Wednesday 27 May 1987

To Miami then back to South Carolina

Sultry night in the dorm. Air-conditioner was no help, being worn out and weak. To rinse the sweat off I took an early morning dip in the pool. Then I packed and checked out.

I think I can make it to South Carolina by nightfall. The weather channel had forecast a stormy day. I drove past the Miami skyline, through nondescript undeveloped country, then turned north onto the Florida Turnpike. That detour to Miami wasn't worth it. It was just a waste of a couple of hours. I thought Cape Canaveral might be worth a look but decided not to go. Reached Jacksonville by 5 pm, Georgia border by 6:30. I ended up in Waltersboro, SC by the time it is too dark and I'm too tired.

The problem with beach scenery in America is that usually the waterfront is privately owned. So you never get to see all those wonderful beaches up close unless you pay through the nose to stay in a posh hotel for hundreds of dollars a night. With mountain scenery, they can't block all it from view. The other problem is there are seldom any stopping spots near scenic views. The St. Johns crossing outside Jacksonville was pretty, but I couldn't very well stop to take a picture in rush hour traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment